Why do we believe that our house should look like a magazine at every moment of every day? Have you ever considered how ridiculous that is?
I have noticed that if I try to always have a perfectly clean house, I don’t get anything else accomplished. I am not promoting a filthy, unhealthy house, but a home that is lived in. I am telling all the moms that sometimes it is best to just do a quick clean and call it finished. Here is what I do sometimes…
- Set a fifteen minute timer.
- Pick up the toys and clutter on the floor in the family areas and put them all on the same couch cushion. Run fast! (A clean floor feels good.)
- Use a baby wipe or washrag to wipe around the sinks and toilets.
- Make your bed.
- Clear off the table. Put the dishes in a sink of soapy water.
- Sweep the kitchen without moving the rugs or chairs and then mop the high traffic area with just water.
- When the timer goes off, your cleaning is finished.
Now go and enjoy your kids or take a moment to do something out of the ordinary. It is OK to switch from cleaning mode to living mode. It pleases me to see a load of wash on someone’s couch. I like the proof that they really live there!
Another idea comes from my sister; she only does housework until lunchtime. Then she has the chance to get on to other things.
A third idea is only allowing yourself to focus on one room a day…and do the bare minimum in the other rooms. Monday is bathrooms, Tuesday is family areas,…etc.
Life is so much more than cleaning or feeling bad about not cleaning…