Traveling is very expensive…but fun doesn’t have to be. We love to pretend to visit the countries of the world. Some of our most fond family memories have happened on those nights! Here is how we make the event happen:
- Decide where you want to visit.
- Check out simple books from the library or look on the internet to learn about the customs, people, food, landforms, famous places, and history
- Let your kids help with the decorating by searching “free coloring pages (country’s name).” Print out the pages. Let them color the pictures and then use masking tape to create a display on a wall. It is also fun to try and make the country’s flag out of construction paper.
- Find something around your house that could be used as a centerpiece. For example: a toy elephant for India, make a shamrock for Ireland, …etc
- Find recipes from the country in the books or on the internet that would be fun to try. Another option would be to get take out from a restaurant that features the country’s food.
- Carefully search the internet for videos of the country’s landscape and of its native dances or traditions. Show them on the TV or computer.
- Find a game or an activity that is native to the country to play after dinner.
- If you’d like, invite another family to join you on the adventure.
We will soon be posting ideas of countries to visit and food to cook/bake when you “go” there. We have been “visiting” countries for five years now and are excited to share our favorite ideas with you…..just ask our kids what they think of borscht :).
(If you’d like to “subscribe” to the new posts that will be coming on our blog: Go to the right sidebar, insert your email into the box above the subscribe button, and then press “subscribe”.)